Friday, August 14, 2009

What Have We Become

A standardized testing industry insider constructs the perfect SAT essay...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/education/edlife/26NAZIS-Blk-t.html

which argues for a "morally repugnant" world-view.

***
I had a similar experience. When training as an English teacher (I have taught in a variety of disciplines), we were required to attend a workshop on testing, on how to write and create test questions that 'really ferreted out what kids know.' This presenter was very proud of her handiwork. We had to take the test ourselves, which, I think is good--rather than being lectured at, we teachers were active learners.

I got the test, which had lots of fill in the blank, and I finished it rapidly, barely reading some parts, not reading others at all, simply using the surrounding textual clues to fill in the blanks.

I didn't even know what I had read, but got every answer correct.

When I put down my pencil and said I was done, she was clearly pissed off, and said, "not possible."

Oh, it be possible.

She couldn't believe it, tried to pretend it didn't happen, continued spouting her pre-memorized spiel about how this was the type of test you couldn't fake your way through, it really showed whether or not kids could read....and when I demurred, she became very, very flustered.

Yup. An essay espousing Nazism can get a perfect score on the SAT. Standardized tests are really....

Just go to fairtest.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment