Friday, August 14, 2009

$100,000 Teacher


Why have I NEVER heard of this book before?

I read my association journals. At minimum, I flip through the various education/teaching magazines that come through my mailboxes both at work and at home.

http://www.capital-books.com/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=31607
***

I know many, including myself, must be thinking--this is no time to demand higher salaries.

"There is never a wrong time to do the right thing."

Right has many gradations. If you feel guilty about agitating for higher salaries, moderate. Agitate for better benefits; for on-site day care; for a shorter work day; for no-cost solutions to sub-par working conditions. This is not a "third world"* country. We deserve better, because our children deserve the best.


*I do not mean to offend with the term "third world"--I mean that the U.S. is seen as a beacon of hope by millions around the world, and when some arrive here, they're appalled by how we treat our teachers. Even if we cannot give teachers better salaries, we can give them what is priceless--our respect. We can at least give this to each other.

Stop fighting against each other.
Stop bickering over who stole the stapler!
Give each other bathroom breaks!
If a student is driving your colleague batcrazy, take the kid "under your wing" and "invite" them to stay in your room "for a little while..."

No comments:

Post a Comment